Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Twenty-Five Months

Dear Patrick,

I have been drastically affected by "mommy brain" in the last week, and this milestone caught me off guard. I feel unprepared to properly celebrate your twenty-fifth month. Wasn't I just writing your two-year letter?
Not much has changed in the last month. You seem taller to me, but that could be a result of how accustomed I have grown to Nathan's height; you tower over him, regardless of how you compare to other two-year-olds. You jabber more than ever--if that's even possible--but I still don't understand most of what you're saying. Still, I love to hear you read one of your books to me. You sound so knowledgeable about what those letters are saying that I'm ready to assume my sixteen years of schooling have failed to teach me to read properly.

Along with all the jabbering, you're understanding Daddy and me much better--or at least obeying better. I like this development, as I suddenly feel like I'm no longer talking to a brick wall. Daddy and I just need to make sure more than ever that our words are fit for innocent little ears.

You're starting to interact more with your little brother, although you deny it anytime someone asks you what you think about Nathan. You look at the questioner with a blank look on your face, like you want to say, "What do you mean, little brother? I'm the only cute thing around here!" But secretly, I think you like him. You view it as a challenge to help him stop crying. I think that's why you figured out the pacifier trick so quickly. And already Nathan often calms down merely by having you near. You're his hero already, and you're proving to be living up to that label so far.

Best of all, I love your developing personality. You are so silly. I tell you this a billion times a day, and you seem intent on living up to the statement. You try so hard to make us laugh, and your efforts rarely fall short. You have even taught yourself a hilarious fake laugh to use anytime you don't understand what Daddy and I are laughing at--and it never fails to make us laugh even harder, suddenly including you in the joke. Pretty clever, I must say.


But to balance that crazy sense of humor, you're also working on developing your sweet side. You now give occasional running hugs, as though you simply can't wait another second to embrace us. You ask to sit on one of our laps, instead of just putting up with it. And you've even snuggled up next to me once or twice when we've both been on the floor playing. It means the world to me that you will put aside your ever-important play long enough to remind me that you truly do love me.


And I love you in the same way, more and more as each day passes and I am able to see what a wonderful little boy you are growing into. I am truly blessed to have you in my life.


Love,

Mommy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jared and I got your birth announcement in the mail today. Cutie, cutie!

Do you still have a registry up somewhere? Matt has my e-mail, so you can let me know...:o)

-Rachel

Anonymous said...

What a great little guy you are turning out to be, Patrick. Nana loves that you can be both serious and silly. Your special little hat makes Nana laugh!

Anonymous said...

The last picture of Patrick looks like he has on a drum major hat and he's marching!!Soooooo cute!!!

Anonymous said...

I love to read your monthly reports to see what you have been up to, Patrick. Your mommy is so sweet to keep us informed since we can't see you often. souonds like Nathan is already liking you as a big brother and thinking you are special. We love you both.