Saturday, April 12, 2008

He's a Biter

Yup, you heard right. Mom, you can start laughing right about now; you're getting your revenge. Now that Nathan has those two adorable little teeth, he's interested in what they're there for. Add to that all the other little teeth under his gums that are considering following in the footsteps of their adventurous brothers, and Nathan can't keep from trying out the little choppers.

It hurts on your finger and arm, and I've had the hickeys to prove it.

It's just plain annoying when he goes after the spoon when he's being fed.

But it's downright excruciating when he chooses to try them out while nursing.

Patrick learned a valuable lesson the other day: he is not the only one in the house capable of being punished. He learned quite quickly that the results of Nathan biting is a very light swat on the butt (which he wishes he could administer for me).

Unfortunately, Nathan doesn't quite understand how the consequences relate to the behavior yet. And he just keeps biting. I'm a bit nervous each and every time he goes to eat, and I'm constantly sore from all the times I've already been used as a teething ring.

Mom, I'm so sorry. If I could go back in time to when I was a baby and unbite you, I would. I certainly feel your pain now.

(By the way, the complaint is meant mostly in jest. Yes, it hurts, but I understand he's a baby and doesn't get it yet. I'll just put up with the pain until he does begin to understand he's hurting Mommy.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not laughing... promise! I remember the feeling, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Babies usually don't find the need to try that out for long. You just tried it twice -- thankfully!

Anonymous said...

Nathan is trying to tell you he is ready for real food!!! Something he can sink his teeth into!