Thursday, April 17, 2008

Boys Will Be Boys

I think my years teaching freshmen prepared me to be the mom of two boys. Do you think boys are born with that sense of humor we associate with little boys? Because Patrick seems to have it.

We've had a couple of bad allergy days around here, and as a result, Patrick has learned the word "booger." He giggles uncontrollably every time he says it, too. I'd like to think it's just a funny-sounding word, but more than likely it's just that boogers are innately funny.

So are farts and fart noises. Last night for dinner we were having French fries, which of course need ketchup. The ketchup made that fart noise as Matt squeezed some out, and Patrick immediately started laughing. It was the funniest thing he'd heard all day.

Then this morning, I watched as he strained and his face turned red. He wasn't pooping, though, because a second later, I heard a loud fart echo in his booster chair. He laughed so hard at that one, immediately saying, "poot," right after it happened and then declaring it "yucky."

I'm afraid I'm not helping matters by laughing along with him. I try not to giggle, but I find situations like that funny even before Patrick reacts to them (thank you freshmen boys). Then when Patrick starts laughing, I can't help myself. Oh, well, he'd learn the humor in bodily functions by the time he got in elementary school anyway, right? He might as well be precocious in this area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think boys are just born with the ability to find humor in every bodily function! (and many girls, too) :)

It seems that he will fit right into his family!

Anonymous said...

Don't get to thinking Patrick will grow out of this phase, I'm not sure his Dad has!! I was hoping he would not get the bodily function humor for a few more years!!