Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Patrick and his Multiple Personalities

I guess this must be true toddlerhood. I never know what to expect from Patrick from day to day. I love him all the same, no matter which personality shows up each day, but some days are just much easier than others.

For example, yesterday Patrick was a sweet cuddlebug all day long. He woke up at 6:30-ish from what I suspect was a nightmare. A few minutes cuddling with me was all it took to calm him and make him happy again. Then every chance he got all day long, he wanted me nearby for a quick hug or snuggle or even a quick reading of a favorite book. The few tantrums I saw were short-lived. I actually wondered more than once why I was so anxious to have Nathan when that would only mean less time spent with Patrick.

If only Patrick could have stayed that sweet boy a little longer... Today he woke me up with practicing his outside voice as loudly as possible in his room. He didn't seem to care that Mommy also woke up with a headache (I wonder if the two are related). He's been much faster to throw tantrums, and over even more ridiculous things than usual--like not giving him more Cheerios when he has a pile of them sitting in front of him. He has also been doing everything at top volume, as though he is testing how bad my headache really is and at what point I will break. I'd have to say that mischievous Patrick showed up today.

It's days like today that make me a bit more anxious to spend a night or two in the hospital, away from toddler tantrums and endless whiny requests to go "bye."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful child to me!! Wish he was here. Love you all.