Friday, July 20, 2007

Ultrasound

I won't get into the details of the ultrasound, but it was aggravating. We were clearly operating on a Friday afternoon schedule, and what should have taken about fifteen minutes took closer to three hours. Yes, really.

The good news is that it is unlikely I will end up qualifying for the home health care thing. It's annoying that I won't get the meds in the form the doctor wants, but it's good that nothing is wrong enough to require anything special. Of course, I should probably mention that this is in the uneducated opinion of the ultrasound tech (she was really hesitant to tell me anything about whether anything she saw was normal or not). I'll find out for sure sometime next week after the report has been sent back to the doctor.

There were a few scary moments when the tech called the radiologist in, who wanted to see something in Nathan's abdomen a bit closer. Neither said anything as he checked that, and I started to get worried that something was seriously wrong and they weren't saying anything. Finally I just asked, and he was willing to tell me that they couldn't get a shot of the right kidney. Most likely this is nothing and he was just positioned wrong to get a clear shot of it, but because we couldn't get a good shot at the first medical ultrasound way back when, we'll need to keep a close eye on it. I'm not worrying about it because the odds are good that nothing is wrong at all.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated when I hear what the doctor has to say officially and when I get put on medicine of some sort. In the meantime, I'm glad that ordeal of a hospital ultrasound is over.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Kathy, I'm glad that your doc is being proactive about your contractions, but I'm sure sorry you have to take terbutaline (right spelling, by the way :)). I had to take that with both of my kiddos (fortunately only about three days with Claire), and it definitely makes you feel weird--jittery is a good word to describe it. Good luck; you'll get used to it after a few days.