Friday, July 20, 2007

Thirty Weeks

Yesterday I went to my thirty-week appointment. Other than the itchy, rashy belly, not much has been happening, so I wasn't expecting a long or exciting appointment. That's not exactly how things worked out, though.

The appointment was a little longer than usual, first of all, because the practice is helping train a new nurse-practioner right now. I ended up seeing her and then my doctor, so it took a bit longer than I thought it would. (By the way, I really like the new nurse-practioner; she's nice.) I was quite glad that Gigi was here (still is until tomorrow) to watch Patrick. Knowing he was taken care took a load off my shoulders.

As soon as the nurse lifted my shirt to listen for Nathan's heartbeat (consistent in the high 140/low 150s), she commented on my belly rash. It seems as though it's perfectly normal and quite common, as I'd started to figure out already. I told her and the NP that I couldn't find anything to help it, so the doctor prescribed a cream to help it. Until it starts working--or in between doses--I'll probably start trying all the other remedies you guys have suggested (thank you so much for the ideas!).

Then my doctor came in at the end of the appointment. She obviously had a mission in mind from the start. She's still concerned enough about the Braxton-Hicks contractions I've been having and that they haven't eased up much yet that she wants to make sure she's doing everythng she can to treat them. She's starting by seeing me every week from now until Nathan's born. Usually until about thirty-six weeks, she'll see patients every two weeks. Personally, I feel a bit relieved that she's taking this precaution. I've always wondered if my appointment with my doctor when I was pregnant with Patrick had been that Thursday that contractions started instead of the next, if she could have caught his imminent birth and at least postponed it. That shouldn't be an issue this time around.

My doctor also wants to help calm the contractions by putting me on a medication that is supposed to prevent contractions. It's called terbutaline (I'm probably butchering the spelling; I haven't bothered to look it up yet) for those of you who may know anything about it. Unfortunately, that's not as simple as it sounds. The oral medicine apparently has an uncomfortable side effect of giving you a racing heartbeat because of the sudden introduction of it into your system when you take the pill. It's better given in a slow, regular dose all the time, like in an IV. Thank goodness my doctor doesn't think it's serious enough to give it to me that way. The third option, from what I understand, is similar to a patch that is placed under the skin. It's much less invasive than an IV but doesn't make your heart race like the pills do.

The only problem with this patch thing is that it's not something she can do in the office. I have to be on a home health care program and have them take care of it. It shouldn't be a big deal, but it seems that our insurance won't approve us for the program at all, no matter what the reasons are for it, unless I meet certain qualifications. To determine whether I meet those qualifications, I get to go in for an ultrasound today. Thank goodness Gigi is still here to watch Patrick during this today. If the results show that I qualify, I'll be getting that patch through the home health program. If I don't qualify, I'll be put on the oral medicine, regardless of the side effects.

I know it sounds a bit annoying to go through all of this, and it sounds like a big deal that I go on this medicine. But I know the doctor just wants to do everything in her power to prevent a repeat premature birth without doing anything to interfere with my normal life since I haven't actually gone into labor yet or anything. I appreciate that she's being proactive about it, so I'll do what I need to do to make sure nothing bad happens.

By the way, I'll try to update later today if I find out anything at the ultrasound this afternoon. Check back later if you want to hear about the next chapter of the story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know the weekly doctor visits will give a lot of peace of mind.