Saturday, July 7, 2007

Twenty-One Months

Dear Patrick,

Today you have the great fortune of turning twenty-one months on a momentous day--07/07/07. People everywhere are certain that today is an incredibly lucky day. Maybe we should buy a lottery ticket for you. Or not. It's just silly superstition anyway.

This last month has been one of great change--although not much for you. For the most part, you are simply continuing to advance in your talking and coming up with new antics to entertain us. The only major change you have made in the last month is hitting that twenty-pound mark at last. You are finally riding in your carseat like a big boy, and loving it. Your main task in the car is no longer to keep yourself entertained, but to entertain everyone in the car as well, now that you can see us.
Most of the changes that have happened this month are changes in Mommy and Daddy. We are deciphering more and more of your jabber. My favorite new phrase is "Ibawabock" or "Iwawabock," which we're fairly certain means "I'll be right back." We still have a lot of translating to do, though; you repeat a lot of the same words, sounds, and phrases over and over all day long, and I think it's starting to drive all three of us crazy that we can't understand all of them.
Daddy and I are also starting to figure out your tantrums. You have two main kinds of tantrums: I'm-not-getting-what-I-want tantrums and frustration tantrums. I actually don't mind the frustration tantrums as much because I see where you're coming from. I've been tempted to throw some of my own when things don't work the way I know they should. These tantrums are particularly impressive to me because they show real persistence. When something won't fit into your alligator the way you know it should, you keep trying repeatedly, not even giving up altogether after throwing your tantrum.
I'm also impressed while watching you play because for one you are meticulous in your play much of the time. You know what you want to do, and you keep trying to hone those fine motor skills so that you can do the detailed tasks you have in mind for yourself. And did you inherit that spacial reasoning skill from your daddy? I'm constantly amazed at the objects you try to cram into that alligator. I feel bad that you get frustrated about it sometimes because I'm sure no matter how hard you try they'll never fit. Then you (or Daddy) finds a different way to position it, and sure enough, it fits perfectly. That's not something you can learn; you must come by that talent naturally.
The other day you went with Mommy to the doctor--my doctor, not yours--and one of the nurses there showed genuine surprise when I mentioned you were a preemie. You'll never recognize how much you truly have grown in the last twenty-one months. Even if you're still tiny for your age, you've caught up completely developmentally. That size is the only hint of your early start in life, and anyone who has met your daddy and me totally understands where that size comes from. I think that encounter this week was a monumentous occasion, for me if not for you, because it showed me that the only way your prematurity comes into play anymore at all is in worry about Nathan. That's a big deal to me anyway.
One more fun story for this month, Patrick. Ever since one of the first visits to Nana and Grandpa's, your grandpa has been trying to get you to do something he remembers me doing at about your age. Apparently when the family was gathered together, like at mealtimes, I would put my arms in the air, waiting for everyone to imitate me. Then we'd all laugh together. You probably thought we were all crazy sitting around with our arms in the air in hopes that you'd mimic us. Finally in the last week or so you've understood this game. Now when you're eager for attention, you'll make a cute noise and put your arms in the air. As soon as Daddy and I get our arms up too, you'll drop them quickly as you make a different noise. Your grandpa would be so proud.
I can barely believe that in only three more months you'll be two years old. It can't possibly have been that long since you were born. And before that happens, you'll be a big brother. We have a busy few months ahead of us with some big changes. I hope we're all ready for them. I also hope the easygoing nature you've had for the last twenty-one months sticks around to make those first few months with Nathan a little easier. But even if you do decide to be a more typical toddler, we'll still love you just as you are.
Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is truly amazing to watch Patrick grow. His grandpa will be so proud that he has learned your toddler game. I can't wait to tell him!

Lynanne said...

Happy 21 months on such a lucky day!

I love reading the updates on Patrick. You'd never know he was a preemie. He sounds so much like my little miss E. I'm certain he is going to be a wonderful big brother!

Good luck!