Saturday, March 8, 2008

A First Taste

Last week, Nathan stopped letting me sleep through the night. He woke up every night, desperate to eat. And he would eat for hours on end. If that's not a sign he's ready for something more substantial in his belly, I don't know what is. I was as desperate for sleep as he was for food, so I finally decided it was time to do something about it.

So Wednesday night, we started solid foods.
He sat in his big boy high chair quite happily while I prepared his yummy dinner of runny rice cereal. I was proud of how he wanted to sit up on his own as much as possible, not leaning against the sides like Patrick did when he first used this high chair.

Nathan was quite ready for that first bite, opening his mouth as soon as he saw the spoon coming. I think he already knew there was something yummy on there. Of course, this was his reaction to the "yummy" food:
But his tummy was hungry enough that he kept eating, regardless of that initial reaction. He downed most of the bowl I'd prepared like a pro. He grimaced after many bites (which prompted me to change some things about the preparation for the next night, which he ate much more happily), but he just kept eating.
And he was certainly much happier when we were done. Nathan likes having a full belly.
Since then, he has started sleeping a little better each night until last night's full night of sleep. It seems that Mommy's milk wasn't quite enough anymore, but he's loving his first taste of this wide world of solid food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that last grin says it all! I'm glad it's helping him sleep through the night.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know that you are finally feeding the poor boy!!!! He looks adorable in the high chair, and that smile is priceless!