Friday, December 7, 2007

Twenty-Six Months

Dear Patrick,

Your twenty-sixth month cemented your entrance into your terrible twos. I only thought you had all the symptoms of the dreaded year before the last few weeks, but as usual, you have entered this phase just a bit later than most of your peers.
I have learned patience of a level I never thought I could experience--and even then you test its limits. I can understand that you want to control your world and that your only method of communicating your displeasure that you can't control everything is a tantrum. That doesn't mean I'm at all thrilled with it, however. Many days I am ready for your bedtime hours before you are.
I am grateful that while your tantrums have escalated this month, so have your sweet, affectionate moments. You are all too willing to let us know when you want a hug or to be held. You are even bold enough to ask other people you deem loveable to pick you up. Before this month, hugs were reserved for Daddy coming home from work, but now you want them from me when you get up from a nap or your grandparents when you see them. All this sweet affection makes it easier to tolerate the numerous tantrums each day.
And finally--at last--this affection has begun to spread to your baby brother. You acknowledge Nathan's presence as more than just a gadget to figure out, like the latches on all the baby seats in the house. If you try to take him a pacifier, it's not just to figure out how it fits in his mouth but to calm his crying. You attempt to help me with whatever I am doing to calm Nathan, like rocking the chair he is in or smile and entertain him. And the sweetest was when I was doing something to calm him while he was in his playard and you peeked over the side to watch me. You have suddenly taken an interest in your brother, and it brings out a new side to your personality that I love watching develop.
You have had another language explosion this month. I can't even remember all the words you have surprised us with recently. The words you've had for quite a while are also much clearer now. You are just a few weeks away from holding actual conversations with us, not just toddler babble followed by my, "Really? That's great!" Or your insistence on going somewhere and my insistence that we're not going anywhere. I'm looking forward to those first real conversations, but I have a feeling all too soon I'll be wishing for these one-sided chats again, when I'm trying to explain why the sky is blue or how electricity works. Because, yes, I do think you are going to be one of those kids.
I got my new camera, my Christmas present this year, a week or so ago, and you have been a real trooper, letting me take more pictures of you than you've let me take in months. If you weren't still running to the camera to play with it as often as you do, I'd say you have a real future as a baby model ahead of you. I'm thrilled I have all these great pictures to remember this stage in your life. Thank you for being so cooperative.
Last night, we went to Nana's school with her and Grandpa to attend some open-house-type event. For the first time ever, you got your picture taken with Santa. I'm looking forward to explaining all about Santa to you and watching your face light up on Christmas morning as you see everything he brought you (even though we don't have a chimney--at least Gigi and Papa do, since that's where we'll be this year).


It was also a little nostalgic seeing you at the school with all the "big" girls and boys. It made me realize that it will be all too soon when I'll be attending events like that as the parent of a real grade-schooler. Please stop growing up so fast! I already miss the baby Patrick, and the crawling Patrick, and the toothless, "bionic-baby" Patrick from long ago. I'm not ready to miss the toddler Patrick and the happy-go-lucky, barely-understandable Patrick I'm in love with now. Slow down so that I can cherish every last moment with you.


I love you.

Mommy

No comments: