Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Not Exactly a Delicacy

I just figured out that Nathan's going to be that child. I had set him on the floor to sit and play for a few minutes while I checked my e-mail. He was surrounded by toys, but somehow still decided he needed to go exploring. He was already across the living room by the bookcase with Patrick's toys when I heard him cough.

Normally this wouldn't be a sound I would worry about, but this wasn't the first time I'd heard it today. This morning Patrick was playing with an empty diaper box, a favorite toy of his when we let him play with it, and was shredding pieces of the cardboard all over the floor. Naturally I had to confiscate it and throw away all the little pieces of cardboard.

Apparently I'd missed one because a few minutes later Nathan was coughing and had a funny look on his face. I fished one last piece of cardboard out of his mouth, thankfully before he choked on it. Patrick got one last lecture about leaving small things on the floor, and I checked the floor for any more choking hazards, just in case.

So when I heard Nathan coughing a few minutes ago, I couldn't figure out what he could have found to chew on. Luckily enough, as soon as I started to get up and check on him, he vomited all over his front. While I would typically be pretty grossed out by this, I was hoping the vomit was what had caused the coughing and everything was fine now.

Well, it was fine, but I determined the cause of the cough and vomit when I was cleaning up: There was a dead spider in the pile on the floor. It seems that Nathan managed to find a dead spider on the floor and thought it looked yummy.

Yup, Nathan's going to be that kid, the one who will eat literally everything, even if it crawls around on eight legs. He's going to be the one I have to watch every second to make sure he doesn't get himself into trouble with his adventurous spirit. I guess it's just good that he was able to puke up the spider this time. I don't know if we'll be so lucky this time.

Regardless of my worries, though, I still think this story is hilarious. This will be one of those stories he gets tired of hearing as he grows up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone needs at least one child like that to keep things interesting. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you will have to feed Nathan before he gets down to play so he won't eat any and everything. I guess you could do with a little less
"interesting" ha Love you all.

Anonymous said...

Do we dare call him "Spiderboy"? It sounds like you may have your hands full. Love to all.