Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another First

I'm finding that the boys' baby books aren't quite adequate with room to fill in all the important firsts. They include all the usual ones, the ones that people ask about--like first food, first tooth, first word, first steps, all those.

But the really important ones, the ones that create the strongest memories for me, are the ones that no baby book would think to include. These firsts also tend to include both boys. I remember the first time Patrick actually played with Nathan, the first time Nathan laughed at Patrick, the first time Patrick called Nathan "Gaga" (that I recognized anyway), and the first time Nathan called Patrick "Gaga."

Today was yet another of those firsts between brothers. I was giving them a bath together (that was another first--their first joint bath) and they were thoroughly enjoying it. Nathan has finally started loving bathtime instead of just tolerating it, and coincidentally that coincides with learning to splash. Go figure.

Anyway, today Nathan was watching his brother carefully. Patrick kept splashing all over the bathroom--and me. Nathan immediately laughed hysterically at him and then followed his example. I would get a second tidal wave of water threatening to drown me, this time from Nathan. Patrick would laugh at, and with, him and start the whole process over again.

My boys were playing together and had teamed up against me. I had so much fun watching them work together to soak me that I didn't even mind that they quite easily accomplished their purpose.

That was a first for them--to play together with purpose, to team up on me. In the past, they may have both played side by side with the same toy, but they weren't truly playing together. I'm not so sure this will be a good thing in the future, especially the teaming up together, but there is something so fulfilling watching my boys forge their own relationship with each other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To bad we didn't get to see a picture of Mommy drenched with the water!!

Anonymous said...

Those 2 make such a wonderful team -- taking home a gold in the mommy drenching event! What a fun moment for you.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing what the boys are doing that is new {and old}. Just love to read about them since I don't get to see them very often. Love you all.