Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Patrick-isms and Other Stories

We've had a busy few days around here, so I've been collecting stories to tell. Here are as many as I can remember at the moment:

1. Patrick started saying a new fun phrase on Thursday: "Dang it." We are just so proud. I feel so bad for letting it slip that one time in front of him. He says it all the time, too, any time he's frustrated about anything. In a way, I'm glad he has a way to express frustration other than a tantrum, but I wish he had found a better phrase to use. I wonder how that's going to go over at MDO this week.

2. He is also saying, "Doss-oo-uh," every time he's upset at someone. This one totally cracks me up. When his daddy gets really upset with him, he calls him by his full name: Patrick Joshua. Since he doesn't understand the concept of middle names yet, he just thinks "Joshua" is a way to really tell someone off. For example, the other day Amber was bugging him, so he told her, "Ah-buh...Doss-oo-uh!" I guess that might just be the dog's new middle name.

3. Nathan has a new tooth. I've been checking his incoming molars every day, but they're still taking their time cutting through the gums. Because I was distracted by the molars, though, I missed a more normal tooth cutting. I noticed the left bottom tooth (next to the middle one he already has) was cut almost all the way through already just a few days ago. That puts him at seven teeth now with about three more imminent. At this rate he'll have a full mouth of teeth by his first birthday.

4. The other day someone mistook Nathan for a little girl. He was dressed in a dark blue baseball outfit. I know he has pretty blonde curls and adorable blue eyes, but you'd think the outfit would tip people off. That and the fact that the guy had heard me call him Nathan numerous times before saying anything. Maybe I should change his name to Natalie and buy him some frilly dresses and just make it easier for everyone (except Nathan of course).

5. Patrick had the open house for his MDO on Thursday. He had a blast and has been talking about his teachers ever since. Oh, and the cookies that he got to eat while he was there. I will have more about his first day of school (today!) probably tomorrow once he's made it back home and I have pictures to show off.

6. Patrick also has his last few visits with ECI scheduled already. He officially graduates from the program the day before his third birthday, when he's automatically discharged. At that point he will move onto a program through the school district. We go for his first screening there next Monday, so I'll know more about it after that.

7. Nathan is growing more and more eager to be mobile but won't crawl traditionally. I truly think he'll end up walking first at the rate he's going. He's already trying to balance on his own when I help him stand up. He also bear crawls as much as scooting, using his legs instead of his knees. He's clearly trying to stand up and could care less about learning to crawl the "proper" way.

8. This weekend we set up the enclosed play area for Nathan, and Patrick is enthralled with it. He thinks it's so neat that Nathan also has his time-out, only his has toys in it. (The play area is made out of the same gate things that his time-out is.) He keeps asking if he can play in time-out and begs Matt and me to get in and play with the two boys. I have a feeling we are going to make all sorts of fun family memories packed in tight in that little play area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all the news. I can just imagine Patrick sitting on the floor and saying Amber Joshua!! Nathan of course has those beautiful curls like his dad had at his age. He is a soo cute with those curls and eyes, no wonder he was mistaken for a girl.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful anecdotes! Thanks for the fun updates.