Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Thirty-One Months

Dear Patrick,

This month, more than any other we've been through yet, you are two. All of a sudden, every little thing you do reminds me of just how two you really are. For months, I've been telling myself that it was great that you weren't quite normal, that you didn't do a lot of things the way a normal two-year-old would, tantrums notwithstanding of course.
Then this month, you must have finally finished reading the two-year-old's handbook that someone slipped you awhile back. You also must have been taking copious notes, because it is all so typical two-year-old.
Every day, your daddy gets home from work to be greeted with all the hilarious stories of your antics for the day. It's everything from wearing sunglasses at the lunch table to "feeding" your little brother to walking around using the ring stacker's rings as shoes. At the same time, I attempt to remember all your new words from the day, and I'm finding it difficult to remember them all. Your language has taken off that much that I'd have to follow you around with a notebook (one of your favorite words, by the way, thanks to your friends Steve and Blue) to keep track of them all.
You have two new favorite activities from the month. One is clearly a stereotypical two-year-old's favorite show: Blue's Clues. You ask for it during breakfast, long before you've eaten your fill, and you continue to ask for it as soon as one episode ends. We could easily watch episode after episode all day long. You even talk to Steve now, getting upset with him when he can't see that clue that's right there. Come on, Steve! I'm two and I can see that!

I love that it's helping your vocabulary. You've learned to identify trees (twees) from Steve, as well as what crayons (cwahs) are used for. I have to watch the show with you so that I'll be able to interpret what new words you use during the day, because the odds are that if you didn't just repeat what I said, it was something you learned from Steve.
In fact, your language is catching up so well that your ECI teacher is impressed each time she shows up. Yesterday we got to boast that you finally said your own name, just Monday night. She gives us an assignment of something to work on over the next couple of weeks until we see her again, and each time you master the concept easily. I think she's about ready to boot you out of the program because you're going to be communicating at a far advanced level if they keep up this work.

She also taught you the wonders of coloring yesterday. You've colored occasionally before, but you embraced the concept yesterday, insisting on coloring all day long. Technically, though, you insisted I color all day long. You've developed a passion for circles in particular, and you spent the day forcing the crayon into my hand so I could draw another circle for you, something you don't quite have the motor skills for yet. Then you walked around with your masterpiece, trying to hang it on the wall. I gave you a magnet and showed you how to make it stick on the fridge, but you got quite frustrated when it didn't work on the wall. We eventually compromised by hanging it on the fridge out of your reach, but that only happened after many tears.
Despite the tantrum yesterday, though, they haven't been quite as bad recently. At least you usually have a reason for your tantrums. Either something isn't working the way you want it to or you're not getting your way. I suspect that you're communicating well enough now that communication frustrations are rarely the cause of your tantrums any longer. Now you're upset because even though you've effectively communicated what you wanted, you still don't always get whatever it is you want. I know it's a hard lesson to learn, that the world doesn't revolve around your desires, but I have faith that you will learn it eventually.
Despite the occasional tantrums, I still love the little boy you're growing into. You are a lot of fun with a hilarious (although sometimes cruel) sense of humor. Yet you can be just as sweet as you can be funny. You love all of us in your family with an exuberance that warms my heart. You are smart and observant and insistent upon cleanliness. All of this makes you into the unique you I've come to know and love so well over the last two and a half years. And I know that as you continue to mature and grow, you will teach me to love you even more and in new ways than I ever thought possible.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandchildren are the best looking kids on earth. What wonderful pictures of PatricK!!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie pie!