Tuesday, February 26, 2008

It's a K-Hug (a Kiss and a Hug)

I love this new stage Patrick just entered, the one where he's starting to show affection. A couple of days ago he surprised me by giving me a near kiss, complete with sound effects--"Mmm-ma." It was so sweet, especially because I haven't been coaching it or anything. It came out of nowhere and was so genuine.

The next day he gave me another kiss, just as sweet as the first. It happened when I had just finished nursing Nathan and he was still lying in my lap. Patrick had crawled up to snuggle up next to me in the little room left in the chair. After giving me a kiss (that resembles a hug more than anything, other than the kissy sound effects), he leaned down and gave Nathan a kiss several times.

He still ignores his brother about as much as he pays attention to him, so it's hard to tell whether he's annoyed at his presence or really loves him. Being that sweet, gentle, and affectionate with Nathan showed me how he truly feels. I got a little choked up watching him be so generous with his newfound kisses, loving on his little brother.

He has also showered kisses like this upon every toy on Nathan's exersaucer, a truly silly spectacle to watch. He hugs each one, says "Mmm-ma," and then utters a quick, "Sleep tight" before heading to the next toy. The fact that he adds "sleep tight" to the kiss made it clear where he picked up the new act. Although he gets kisses all day long, he remembers the ones he gets at bedtime the most. And since it is part of the sleep tight routine, it must be something worth talking about and doing all day long.

I wonder what else we should add to the bedtime routine that would be useful for him to do all day...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard that reading a book before bedtime will help him learn and help him to fall asleep better. Maybe that would be worth a try. He is such a sweetheart.

Anonymous said...

Toddler kisses are the best! I'm glad he is so affectionate.