Monday, August 27, 2007

Nathan Update

I know I have a million pictures I need to upload, but I don't feel like doing that today. I thought instead I'd let everyone know how the pregnancy is going since it's been a long time since I've updated.

You may notice that the ticker just above is showing that I am 36 weeks today. At 37 weeks I am considered full-term. That means that if Nathan was born today, he would technically be considered a preemie, but 36-weekers rarely have any problems that normal newborns don't have. This is really quite the milestone for me, as I never expected him to make it much past 35 weeks.

What makes things more interesting is that there has been some debate all along as to my actual due date. When you've had a preemie before, you make a big deal over even a few days' difference. The difference here could be up to about nine days. I'm keeping my doctor's due date in the ticker, mostly because it's the most conservative, but it's entirely possible I've actually hit 37 weeks already or will in the next few days.

I haven't noticed anything specific to indicate that Nathan will be coming in the immediate future, but my impatience to see him is making me feel like the birth is imminent. I am a little nervous about the whole thing, but at least I know better what to expect this time around. Well, I know what to expect with labor (maybe I'll be able to identify it as labor earlier this time!). I'm still a little thrown by the idea that Nathan should be totally normal, even if he is born today. I'm so accustomed to thinking about birth in comparison to the abnormal experience with Patrick that I can't even imagine what a normal birth and baby will look like.

I already have my hospital bag mostly packed; all that's left are things that I will need between now and whenever he's born. Included in that bag are two possible outfits for Nathan to come home in, depending on his size. It feels so weird to be packing for both of us. When this happened last time, we only packed for one of us at a time. It's even harder to imagine packing for Nathan when I haven't even met him yet. How am I supposed to know what he needs or what he will be able to wear? It's a totally new concept for me.

Matt and I feel like we are completely ready for Nathan to come, but I know it's only the physical things we have ready. We are going to be completely caught off guard by his arrival, whenever it might be and no matter how long we've been this impatient for it.

I need to take at least one more belly picture before he's born so that we can see the belly at the biggest it's ever been. I think you'll be surprised. I'm amazed myself sometimes at how I can still stand up at all with this huge belly sticking out in front of me. It makes sense, though, when you consider the baby in it is approximately twice Patrick's birth weight. How crazy is that to think about?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear things are going well with you and Nathan. Hard to believe he should be here in less than a month. We are praying for an easy delivery and a healthy baby. Give Patrick a hug for me. Love you all 4.

Lauren said...

So good to hear that Nathan is still baking in the oven! He's going to be just fine :) It will be a new experience for you and hopefully a very good one. I'm so glad that the two of you are healthy :) Can't wait to hear the big news!

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear things are still good with you and Nathan. I can not wait to meet him. Let me know.

Melanie

Anonymous said...

You're on the home stretch, and I know that must be a great feeling. What a happy day it will be when he's born big and healthy and even ready to come home with you. We're looking forward to the day and pray for you guys every day.