Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Delayed Gratification

Not long ago, I suddenly got a huge craving for a cinnamon roll. Every since then, I've had one almost every day. Patrick is fascinated by the yummy-smelling treat on Mommy's plate that he doesn't get. After seeing his curiosity, I decided to see what he thought about a cinnamon roll by giving him one small frosting-free bite. That now ranks among his favorite treats, just behind cheese.

Every time I get a cinnamon roll now, I reward Patrick's patience by giving him the last small frosting-free bite. He has learned that this is a real treasure, and he treats it as such. He will usually walk around clutching that one bite for a long time, playing with his toys with the one hand only to keep the cinnamon roll as fresh as possible. Then finally he decides he's savored his treat enough and digs in.

I am constantly impressed with this sudden understanding on his part that the anticipation of the yummy bite is just as good as the bite itself. He understands that if he doesn't devour it the second I hand it over, he can make it last longer. The concept of delayed gratification seems so mature for someone so young, and I'm proud of Patrick for learning it so early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I quess he comes by liking cinnamon rolls honest. I think just about every one in his family likes them. I have a dumb grandma question, Why is he not allowed some with the icing?