Thursday, July 3, 2008

No Way!

I'm quite certain that Nathan is talking, and not just babbling. We have had more instances where he has fairly clearly said, "Amber," when Amber was around or he was trying to get her attention. I have also heard him repeat, "Gaga," when he was trying to get Patrick's attention. In fact, one day when Patrick was crying near Nathan, I could swear I heard Nathan say, "Gaga. Pah-tree." That one I'm less certain about because, after all, Patrick was crying loudly in my ears.

Nathan also says, "Dada," when he wants his daddy's attention and either "Mama" or "Nana" when he wants me. He's consistent enough about all his different words and when he uses each one that it seems entirely likely that he understands what he's saying, at least to some extent.

But today's new phrase caught me totally off guard. Nathan had done something cute and got me to smile, so I leaned down and gave him a kiss, telling him, "I love you." Then I turned around to do something else. From behind me I hear, "Uh wu-oo."

I swung that head around so fast in shock. How could Patrick have woken up and snuck out of his room without my hearing it? But, no, Nathan and I were alone--and Nathan was grinning from ear to ear.

I know, I know. Nathan was just repeating me and very likely had no idea what he was saying. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to treasure this day forever and ever--the first day BOTH my boys told me they loved me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what great strides Nathan is taking in his language skills. It must have been a precious moment, and I'll bet he understood the emotion more than you might think.