Monday, July 14, 2008

Brotherly Love

This crazy kid, this one right here, is absolutely, definitely talking. I know I keep talking about it, but that's because I keep trying to convince myself it's possible. Patrick talked so late that it's ridiculous to think a baby could be communicating using real words this early. I mean, he's only nine months old!
But as more time passes and he attempts to talk more and more, I am forced to admit that not only is it possible that he is talking but almost certain. Also, he is not merely repeating us; I think he actually knows what he is saying sometimes.
For example, he frequently says "Amber" unprompted now. He sees her and instantly gets excited and starts repeating her name. I think he is trying to get her attention, which she is only too happy to give most of the time.
This morning's incident is what proved it to me once and for all, though. I had just rescued him from his room for his first feeding, and Patrick was just barely awake. He was jabbering about having me tuck in his bear again, and I did so while holding Nathan. As soon as we got back in our bedroom, Nathan started repeating, "Gaga," his name for Patrick, oddly the same as Patrick's name for him. Then he said, "Uh wuv uh." This time he did not repeat it after I had said it. It came from nowhere.
"Gaga, uh wuv uh. Gaga. Gaga, uh wuv uh." He continued to repeat it while I stared at him in awe. He was clearly saying something with that phrase, and I'm hesitantly suggesting that he does understand what the words mean, at least to some extent. Regardless, though, I'm quite positive that he does indeed love his brother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's not kidding, of a morning these days it's becoming fairly common for me to wake up with Kathy having just gotten Nathan out of his crib. He's typically trying to pet Amber (yes, she sleeps in our bed) and repeating "ahhbaa."

Anonymous said...

His dad talked very early also. He was able to ask for things he wanted and didn't. I'm sure he will be communicating very well before long.

Anonymous said...

How cute that Nathan is speaking. I bet he's got a sweet little voice. He has a lot of motivation to talk and apparently lots to say!