Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Unbelievable

Before I start the story, I have to warn you that I know how unbelievable this sounds. I know it looks like you are getting my very biased interpretation of what happened, but I'm going to tell you just the facts. If you choose not to agree with my interpretation, that's fine.

It happened yesterday afternoon. Nathan and I were sitting on the floor playing when Amber came up to us begging for attention. As usual when he sees Amber, Nathan got excited. I talked to him while I pet Amber, telling him to "say Amber! Say 'sweet Amber, good girl Amber.'" This went on for a few minutes where I praised Amber by talking to Nathan about her, telling him he should say her name.

Then Nathan looked up at Amber and clearly said, "Abba," much the same way his big brother says it, kind of like his nose is stopped up.

He has never said this while babbling; all of his "b" sounds have come out more like "babababa." The sound also did not happen in the midst of babbling. He wasn't talking before, and he didn't talk after. It was isolated and while he was reaching for Amber.

It happened again this morning during breakfast. Patrick was talking to Amber, and then she walked right into Nathan's line of sight. Without prompting this time, he again said, "Abba," while looking at Amber.

Sure it could be a coincidence, but I think it's entirely likely he's proving his place within his daddy's side of the family, the side that might as well be dog whisperers because of their unique relationships to all canines. I really do think that Nathan's first word (other than the "mamama" and "dadada" babblings) was Amber.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't have to convince me! I know that he can learn to say words that are important to him and "Abba" means a lot to him.

Anonymous said...

I've heard it, she isn't as crazy as I thought :)

It sounded a lot like "ahbow" with a very weak 'b' in the middle.